This recipe is special as I have used the spinach which I had grown in a pot. Usually the greens are grown by seedling process.
I got little fresh spinach with roots from the greengrocer and I have chopped the stem and planted the roots in a pot. To my surprise it has grown well.
Masoor dal/Red whole lentils – ¼ cup
Spinach -1 Bunch
Onion , small chopped – 1
Tomato, small chopped – 1
Garlic chopped -1 tsp
Green chilly , chopped – 1
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Chilly powder – ½ tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Dry mango powder – ¼ tsp (Optional)
Garam masala – ¼ tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Salt to taste
Coriander /cilantro leaves for garnishing.
1) Wash the lentils and put it in a pressure cooker along with Turmeric powder, Salt, Chopped Spinach for 4 whistles or until it is cooked. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
2) When the pressure drops, open the lid and mash the dal.
3) Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, chopped garlic and onions. Cook till the onion turns pink.
4) Then add chopped green chillies and tomato and sauté well.
5) Add all the spice powders except garam masala and mix well.
6) Now add the dal and bring to boil then add the garam masala and cook for a minute.
7)Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice and chapati.
I am posting this recipe for Grow your own #45 Event by Girlichef.