Brinjal pieces, cubed – 2 cup
Tomatoes, chopped – 2
Onion, chopped – 1
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
Coriander powder – 3 tsp
Garam masala – ½ tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Nigella /onion seeds/Kalonji – ½ tsp
Fennel /Saunf – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
Hing /asafoetida – a pinch
1) Take the brinjal cubes in a bowl and sprinkle some salt and leave it for 15 minutes to sweat.
2) Squeeze out the water from the brinjal.
3) Heat some oil in a pan and add asafoetida, mustard, fennel, fenugreek seeds and kalonji seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter and fenugreek seeds become brown.
4) Add chopped onion and cook till they are soft .Then add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw flavours of the paste disappears.
5) Add the chopped tomatoes and stir till they are soft.
6) Add the turmeric, red chilly, coriander powder and salt and mix well.
7) Add the brinjal and cook covered till they are soft. Serve with chopped coriander.